Friday, March 22, 2019

Creating Conical Sheet Metal Components

Autodesk Fusion 360 does not provide a method for making conical sheet metal components but with the available tools and a little bit of surface work, the process can accomplished easily.  In this short video I first create a simple sheet metal cone with its flat pattern.  I then go back, in the timeline, and show you how to used the process to make a truncated cone that will produce a square edged flat pattern.

A special thanks to "TheCADWhisper", also known as "Top Daug" from the Fusion 360 forum for giving me inspiration into the methods outlined in this article.

UPDATE: Fusion 360 has added a new tool called Lofted Flange which makes the creation of a sheet metal cone very easy.  In this video I go over the process of using this tool.  If you desire to create an angled truncated cone, the process is also outlined in the video as it is a little different than the method outlined above.


1 comment:

  1. How did you create the holes in the surface of the sheet metal cone? I need to add a radial pattern of slots around my cone, the create the flat layout.

    ReplyDelete