Friday, December 29, 2017

Creating Autodesk Fusion 360 Construction Features

When creating a model in Autodesk Fusion 360, your first sketch should be on one of the origin planes and related to the origin point.  This practice not only will align your model to the world and make building your assemblies easier but it also give you the use of 3 work places, 3 axis and a center work point to build your sketches and features on. 

Sometimes the origin work features are not enough and you will need to create other work features to support additional model geometry and features.  This is when you take advantage of the different types of construction features, often called work features, available in Fusion 360.

I have created a video showing you how to create each one of these construction features and some tricks along the way.  I tried to cover them as thoroughly as possible but there are many methods I could not get to.  One rule of thumb you should always keep in mind, you sometimes have to create one type of construction feature to get the geometry required to create the construction feature you really need.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John thanks for the video it was very informative. I hope you have others because the computer and me are not on the same page. Cheers Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John.
    I've looked at a ton of Fusion 360 tutorial videos but only yours have just clicked for me. I think it is because based on y our experience, you explain why and then how where as many just jump into how.

    I have a couple of questions - not directly related to this topic but I couldn't find a way to connect with you to ask them.

    I have a linear rail slide which has four mounting holes. I drew the slide as a center rectangle and wanted to use the center to place the four mounting holes (the horizontal and vertical spacing are not the same) but the rectangular pattern tool won't let me do this. Any suggestions?

    I looked through your videos but didn't find advice on using construction elements and constraints.

    Thanks.
    Harjit
    zeetahhs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete