Friday, May 6, 2016

Continuing My Blog - Configuring a Custom Content Center

I created this blog about 4 years ago with the hope of using it to help others with their use of the Autodesk mechanical applications.  My company, Imaginit Technologies, soon after invited me to contribute to their Manufacturing Blog so I put my personal blog on hold.  I have recently retired and now it is time to begin to post articles on my site again.  I hope you will enjoy and benefit from these and I welcome any feedback you may have.

I thought my first new post would outline the steps to customize an Inventor Content Center library.  I am assuming in this article that you have already created a Custom Content Center (CCC) library. 


The Content Center Editor (CCE) can be found in two locations in Inventor.  From the Home page, the CCE can be found under the Tools tab on the Content Center panel.


With a file open, the same command can be accessed from the Manage, Content Center panel.  This makes it easy to work with CCC libraries during the editing process.

I am copying the Inventor DIN socket head cap screw (SHCS) to my library to be modified.  My main reason for this is the original library is too extensive and the naming scheme does not suit my need.


My first step is to remove the link for my copied CCC to the original.  Right click on the family and select "Suppress Link" on the context menu.
 
 
Next I will revise the Family Properties to better identify my CCC.    Again right click on the family and select "Family Properties".




In the Family Properties I changed the following fields.  Click OK when finished.
  1. Family Name - This is the name shown in the CCE as the family name.
  2. Family Description - This will be the name added to the iProperty "Description " field.
  3. Standard Organization and Manufacturer - The name should be changed to allow easy Content Center indexing.
  4. Family Folder Name - This is the name of the folder created in the Content Center folder that will contain the developed CCC components.

 

The copied CCC contains 855 SHCS entries, from M1.4 to M100 diameter, far more than I need.  I will select multiple lines and delete those sizes I do not need.  When selecting, use the RowStatus column.

One of the main reasons to create my CCC is to change the Part Number, File Name and the Inventor Browser name.  My standards do not follow the naming formats used by Autodesk.  For example the part number in the original table for an M10 x 1 x 30 LG SHCS is "DIN 912 - M10 x 1 x 30"  I will start with the "File Name" and edit the expression.  Right click on the "File Name" column blank area and select "Column Properties".


In the Custom Properties dialog box, notice the "Expression Column" format.  This expression is used to configure the information displayed for each row in the column. 

Below I have modified the expression to conform to my SHCS file name standard.  If you are unsure of the results of your expression, select "OK" and the column will update allowing you to see if your expression is correct.


I would also like this naming expression to be used as the Inventor Browser callout when the screw is placed in an assembly.  Select the "Map to Inventor Property" drop down and select "Member. Display Name".  Note that you can send the property to most of the standard Inventor iProperties as well as custom ones.  Only one mapping is allowed per column so it you need the same information mapped to another iProperty, just create a new column in the family table.


Before I leave the dialog box, I will highlight and copy the expression line.  I would like to use the same expression for the "Part Number" column.  Remember the Part Number is used by the Parts List in the drawing.  After copying the expression I select "OK" to close the dialog box and then open the "Column Properties" for the "Part Number" column.  the "Expression" checkbox must be checked to allow the pasting of the expression in the configuration field.  Select "OK" to finish.

 
 
The last step is to publish your changes.  You will notice all the fields that were modified have a yellow background and all the rows that were modified have yellow lighting bolts on them.  Select "OK" to publish and close the editor or "Apply" to publish and remain in the editor to continue working.
 
I want to validate my changes by creating and applying a CC filter to show my CCC and place a SHCS in the assembly.  Below you will see the results of my changes.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment